Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Almost Halloween


















You've probably already seen Sean's awesome Jack-0-lantern on his blog, but in case you missed it, I wanted to re post a picture here. Isn't it just wonderful? It's completely dark by 6 p.m. now, so it has been fun to have this glowing in our living room. I think it's his best pumpkin yet.

We had an appointment with the midwife yesterday, and things are continuing to go well. This is 16 weeks for anyone trying to keep track. I have gained almost two pounds since last month and almost four pounds overall. Both the midwife and I were quite pleased. Sean thinks I shouldn't worry about such things, but he was happy because I was happy. He's a good boy that way. :)

My blood pressure continues to be very good and within my normal range: 100/60. Woo hoo! I was a bit surprised, actually, because this week at work was stressful with many last minute projects. Thank goodness for yoga. It has been such a great tool for stress management, and now I am glad to be able to stick with it in a prenatal yoga class. And thank goodness for Sean, who always makes sure I GO to yoga, even on the days when I talk try to talk myself into coming home and being a slug on the couch instead.

Little One's heartbeat was between 160 and 165 beats per minute, another completely normal reading. He or she is getting quite jumpy in there. Little One was moving around so much (causing the Doppler to sound like a needle sliding across the surface of a record) that it was a challenge for the med student to get a reading. Luckily our midwife has such an experienced hand.

Unfortunately, I cannot feel these movements just yet. The midwife says probably not for another month or so. Bummer.

Our next appointment is set for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It's a big one - the anatomy scan. The health-care professionals look for lots of important medical-related stuff so it's a very serious test. But, Sean and I are giddy with excitement because we might be able to find out if Little One is a boy or girl.

This information is highly dependent on whether Little One cooperates. He or she seems to have a bit of a stubborn streak (hmmm... wonder where THAT could have come from...) so we are trying to prepare ourselves for the possibility that we might have to wait until delivery date to find out. Oh, how technology has spoiled us. :) Keep your fingers crossed!

And thank you for all your wonderful comments on the blanket I made last weekend. I think there are more projects on the horizon so I'll be posting pics of those as soon as they are ready.

In terms of themes for the nursery (in our case, nursery is kind of a generous term. Little One will be sharing our room for a while so it's more like the baby corner.), we are leaning toward some something on the sciences and/or technology front - two of our favorite subjects. We haven't completely decided on how to execute this yet so stay tuned for more.

Nerdy? Yes, probably so. But the baby corner is more for us at this age anyway. I am sure Little One will begin to exert his or her tastes soon enough.

1 comment:

Daina said...

I love the pumpkin! It really blows mine out of the water, but I will post my pic none the less! I love pumpkin carving : ) I'm so glad you have been posting your weeks and updates on Little One because I have been tracking baby progress from a book, and have been excited about all the changes. Yes, I'm this nerdy!