Friday, September 18, 2009

Knitting time

I decided to break out the yarn and dust off the old knitting needles this afternoon. Knitting is definitely a fall and winter hobby for me, and Seattle's somewhat cooler temperatures have given me the motivation I needed to start a new project.

My warm-up project: trusty dish cloths. The ones I made last season are looking a little sad, and it would be nice to have a few more to put into the rotation.

Boy, am I rusty - I frogged (er, ripped out all the stitches) the project three times before I hit my stride. I think I am finally back in the swing of things, though.

I am trying a new kind of yarn for this project: a recycled cotton and acrylic blend. Supposedly it's ecofriendly, but man, it is not very easy to knit with. At the risk of sounding like a complete yarn snob, I have decided that I just do not enjoy working with synthetic yarns - blended or not. Natural fibers are so much more friendly to my fingers.

Maybe this is an excuse to go shopping (as if I needed one!) and spend the last of the gift certificate that Mom and Dad gave me for Christmas. I have been savoring it since December. There is only about a dollar and some change left, but I am determined to spend every last penny.

Hmmm.... I wonder if there is a sale this weekend ...

No comments: