Monday, September 14, 2009

Why I love the bus

I feel compelled to publicly profess my love for the Seattle area public transportation system. It is absolutely wonderful. I have been a regular bus rider since we moved to Seattle three years ago, thanks to my employer's very generous subsidization package.

I love that, with only a few exceptions, I can get anywhere in the city on the bus whenever I want to get there. I love that riding the bus is cheap - far cheaper for me than buying gas for the car.

I love that I never have to remember where the heck I parked the car when I go shopping. In fact, Christmastime at the mall is almost enjoyable.

I love that I never have to inch along in traffic jams at big events and that I get 20 to 30 minutes of uninterrupted reading time. It's not a perfect transportation system by any means, but it's pretty darn good.

Today, another bus rider reminded me that my fellow commuters are an equally wonderful part of the experience.

I grabbed a sweater on my way out of the door this morning, but it turned out to be a wee bit too warm to wear it. When I took my seat on the bus, I laid my sweater across my lap being careful not to wrinkle it. I spent the rest of ride day dreaming about who knows what and sipping tea from my trusty, well-worn travel mug.

When it came time to get off the bus, I pulled the cord for my stop, gathered my bag and purse and got off the bus, saying thanks to the driver on my way out. I did not remember dropping my sweater. But a gentleman who also happened to be getting off at the same stop saw my sweater fall. He picked it up and ran after me to return it.

I was so thankful - I would have hated to lose that sweater. The gentleman's action was so simple, but so very kind and considerate. It was a wonderful bus experience and a great way to start the day.

Have you experience a random act of kindness recently? If so, please share.

No comments: