Monday, August 3, 2009

Basil!

Just when I thought this might be a summer without basil, I discovered this little guy.

I guess the scorching temperatures last week gave it the motivation it needed. I am so glad - summer without basil is like summer without the Fourth of July. Simply unimaginable.

This is my third summer of container gardening, and I continue to learn so much. Here are a few things I've learned so far this year:

  • Herbs, for the most part, are extremely easy to grow and taste amazing. I hope never to pay store prices for shriveled fresh herbs again.
  • Tomatoes must be caged as soon as they are planted. Don't count on caging them later when they get a little bigger. They'll be way too big.
  • Tomatoes need A LOT of water.
  • Don't expect downstairs neighbors who choose leather recliners as patio furniture and car floor mats as door mats to appreciate your container gardening hobby.
  • Marigolds really do keep away cabbage worms - no pesticides needed.
  • Starting a ton of seeds in the dead of winter because you are longing for warm, sunshiny weather is probably not the best use of resources.
  • Buying small plants for $2 at PCC is a good use of resources (at least until Sean figures out a way to build a greenhouse extension off our balcony - my fingers are crossed).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so lucky to have one hot container-growin-lady :)

Debra said...

Ahhh, those wonderful sandwiches you made for uss last summer! Fresh basil instead of lettuce - YUM!!!

Staishy Bostick Siem said...

I am glad you enjoyed the sandwiches. I just love fresh basil and will eat it on just about anything!

Alton said...

I wish I could grow some veggies. This apartment complex I'm looking to move to has balconies, maybe I could grow some 'maters. Nothing beats fresh tomatoes. Good luck on your gardening.