Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Garden round-up

So good point - how can you give me suggestions for the ginormous blue pot if you don't know what I have in the garden so far. Sorry about overlooking that one wee bit of information. Here is a round-up of what I've got going so far this year:

Herbs:
  • Rosemary (started a small plant last year)
  • Thyme (started a small plant last year)
  • Basil (from seeds planted with the tomatoes)
  • Sage (from seeds)
  • Oregano (it reseeded itself from last year)
  • Lavender (from seeds started last year)
  • Cilantro (this was a failed attempt to start from seeds. next year, I think I am going to try a small plant)

Veggies:
  • Carrots (started from seeds)
  • Tomatoes (started from small plants)
  • Bell pepper (started from seeds)
  • Radishes (although they were earlier in the summer and have run their course by now)
  • Brussels sprouts (although I have yet to actually get real Brussels sprouts from this plant)
  • A Rainier strawberry plant

Other:
  • Bamboo (two tall plants, one small bushy plant)
  • Washington wild flowers
  • Marigolds (in with the Brussels sprouts. as a side note, they have done an amazing job at repelling the cabbage worms and wasps this year. I am very impressed.)
  • A sword fern

I am planning some spinach for the fall, but probably won't be able to plant that until labor day (anyone interested in a grow-along?), and I am thinking about putting it in with the strawberry plant.

I am considering planting bulbs in the wild flower pot after they have run their course this fall. I was thinking about layering daffodils (late February bloomers), tulips (late March-early April bloomers) and wild flowers (to bloom in the summer).

I think I have missed the boat for pumpkins - they usually have to be in the ground around July 1st here in order to be ready for Halloween.

We have reliable sunny weather and warm temperatures through September. October turns cooler and more rainy. For most things, our growing season seems to be about May through early November. Most of my herbs, other than the basil, grow year round since our winters are generally pretty mild.

I would love a bay laurel tree, put I have no idea how big they get. Does anyone have any experience with these?

And, Alton, you are just about spot-on on the size, good eye! I would say about 16 inches in diameter by about 18 inches deep, so plenty big for veggies and most things.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

5 comments:

Alton said...

Wow, that's a lot. Is this all on your balcony or did you purchase 10 acres somewhere and not tell us? Lol.

Staishy Bostick Siem said...

Haha! Nope, all on my balcony. Oh, the wonders of companion planting. :)

Unknown said...

My wife is a balcony gardening NINJA.

Debra said...

http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/bay-laurel-plants/

I like this Veggie site. I am thinking that a bay laurel plant would be perfect for your ginormous blue pot.

Debra said...

Oh, I forgot to mention, since it maintains it's best height at about 6 feet in a container, it could serve as your Christmas tree, too. I understand you can shape them into anything you want.