Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bread, cobbler and more

Today was a very productive day. I made two loaves of sourdough bread for sandwiches and a batch of outdoor rolls to eat with grilled sausages for dinner. This year, my New Year's resolution was to make all the bread we consume. I am doing really well so far.

Other than a package of pita bread that went moldy before we had a chance to eat them and a couple of packages of hot dog buns, every loaf of bread we've eaten (outside a restaurant, of course) has been handmade by me. This has been a very satisfying feeling! My resolution has also been a great cost savings, too. I estimate that I save about $3 per loaf compared to what I would have spent on the bread in the store.

Does anyone have a bread recipe that makes good sandwiches or to eat with soup they could share? I need to put a few more recipes in the rotation.

Last night, I made a killer cobbler out of the wild blackberries we picked on Friday. It was especially yummy with a scoop of Honey Bee vanilla ice cream. And not bad on Day 2, either. Mmmmm.....

I labeled all the jars of raspberry jam I made last weekend and packed them into the pantry to enjoy through the year. I can't wait to pop open a jar during the cold, dreary winter months. It will be an instant reminder of our trip to the berry farm and the hot steamy summer day I spent canning 15 pounds of fruit. I can't wait.

I also worked in the garden - tending herbs, tomatoes and my pepper plant, which has one lonely pepper so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed that more will appear soon. I am starting to think about my fall garden. Is anyone else planning their garden? What will you be planting?

5 comments:

Debra said...

I think I may have a humble recipe here you can use. I've had it since high school cooking class; Nan used to love it. It makes 2 loaves of White Bread:

2 1/2 cups warm water
2 pkgs active dry yeast
2/3 cups instant dry milk
3 Tb sugar
2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 stick of butter, melted
7 - 7 1/2 cups of white all-purpose flour (or combination of white and other flour of choice - I like oatmeal flour, too)

Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes in loaf pans.

Staishy Bostick Siem said...

That sounds good - would probably taste yummy with a handful of fresh herbs thrown in, too. I'll have to try this, thank you!

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

Hi!
I just stumbled on your blog (by clicking the next blog link at the top) and you asked about bread recipes, I had to share a really great one from Peter Reinhart's "Bread Baker's Apprentice". Here is the link to the recipe on my site, since it's too long to type in the comment section: http://jilliciousdiscoveries.blogspot.com/2009/05/anadama-bread-first-bba-challenge.html

I look forward to following your blog--good luck! :)

Debra said...

If you had some protein powder, it would be a great addition to the bread recipe. Let me know if you want some and I will send it.

Alton said...

Oh my gosh! That blackberry cobbler looks amazing. I love blackberries. That picture looks so yummy, its making me drool. As far as bread recipes, you might also check with grandma. I seem to remember her saying she makes all their bread too, but I think she uses bread machine though.