Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bean success

Today, I made a bean dish to take for lunches this week: Tomatoey Boulangerie Beans and Potatoes. Basically, navy beans, potatoes and sun dried tomatoes all baked together in the oven.

I am not sure why it's called "boulangerie," which is a French word for a bakery. The words "cuire" or "faire" are used to describe baking, or at least that's what I remember from my college French classes. That was a long time ago, though. Still, there's no bread in the dish ... but I digress.

I think it was a success - the pictures are at left. The top one is of the dish straight out of the oven; the bottom is after the beans have been divided into travel containers. I ate a couple of bites, and it tasted pretty good.

Plus, the beans weren't mush, which means I am definitely improving. Historically, I have not had much success turning dried beans into anything other than baby food or army mush. But today's attempt looks promising.

I am already looking for another bean dish to try out next weekend to see if I can duplicate my bean success. Wish me luck.

And just so you know, today's baking wasn't all about me. I also made Sean a batch of his favorite jalapeno bagels.

He's so cute and gets so excited about them. It makes me feel good that I can make him happy with something so simple. So maybe today's baking was all about me after all. I am OK with this.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Are you sure that it doesn't mean simply "baked" beans?

The dish is beautiful and looks very good to eat - what a healthy treat.